MDS SERVICE SCHOLARSHIP
Purpose: MDS hopes to promote service and volunteering in a younger generation. By providing a scholarship to students, we can encourage them to participate in MDS service, without detracting from their ability to earn money over the summer to pay for their education.
Criteria for Students:
- This scholarship will be awarded to students attending Steinbach Bible College (SBC).
- Priority will be given to full-time students. Please refer to your school to confirm the credit requirements to be considered full-time.
- Students must be in good academic standing with their school.
- Priority will be given to returning students. Students may be in undergraduate or graduate programs.
- Students must meet the MDS criteria for long-term volunteers. This includes being at least 19 years old, a Christian, willing to abide by MDS Core Values, and affirm the Shared Convictions for the time they are serving with MDS. A full list of criteria can be found on the MDS application form.
- Students must complete at least 4 weeks of service with MDS to receive the scholarship.
- Students must submit a 500 word reflection on their time serving with MDS. This essay may be used to share an impactful story, explore the highs and lows of their service time, or any other comments on their experience.
- Students must be eligible to volunteer at both Canadian projects or U.S. projects. MDS operates in both Canada and the U.S., and Canadian service opportunities cannot be guaranteed for all students each year. MDS does not provide assistance with visas.
- Upon completion of the student’s service, submission of their reflection, and verification of their enrollment, MDS shall forward the scholarship directly to the student’s school.
- The scholarship will cover the cost of 4 3-credit hour courses (tuition only, no extra fees). If a student does not take 4 courses in their first semester, the remaining scholarship will be given for the second semester.
- Up to 8 scholarships shall be available, given to the most qualified students from any of the participating schools. No set amount of scholarships shall be reserved for any particular school.
- Students may apply for the scholarship multiple times during their studies.
MDS Commitment to Students
- MDS will cover the travel costs of students to and from their place of service, as per MDS Long-Term Volunteer Travel Reimbursement Policy.
- MDS will seek to provide an orientation (or sufficient materials) to prepare the students for their time serving with MDS.
- While on project, all food and lodging costs will be covered by MDS.
Administration of the Scholarship
The school will be responsible for administering the scholarship once entrusted to the school upon completion of the student’s service. The schools shall:
- Provide student recipients with background information about the bursary.
- Make annual reports to MDS to confirm that the scholarships were used appropriately. (To confirm fund received, upon enrollment in a minimum of 24 credit hours.)
- The scholarship shall be applied to the student’s account according to the scholarship and bursary policies at each school.
Promotion of the Scholarship
The availability of the scholarship will be promoted along with other bursaries and scholarships for the purpose of notifying the students and the general public of the scholarship.
The school’s web listing of the scholarship is to be approved by MDS prior to it being listed.
Life of the Award
MDS intends to provide this scholarship for as long as possible, provided funding remains available.