THE SHEEP & GOATS MDS SERVICE BURSARY
Steinbach Bible College is happy to announce the launch of a new financial aid program: The Sheep & The Goats MDS Service Bursary. Thanks to the gracious and generous support of Lorraine & Walter Wiebe, one student who volunteers for eight weeks with Mennonite Disaster Service (MDS) will have 100% of their tuition for the following year covered. Currently two awards are available.
The intention of the MDS Service Bursary is to encourage young adults to further their Christian studies and to respond to Jesus’ grace towards them by becoming disciples who follow Jesus’ teaching in the Gospels, in particular, His teaching of showing compassion to fellow human beings. Serving with Mennonite Disaster Service (MDS) provides young adults with the opportunity to begin a life-long practice of doing so.
Why is it called “The Sheep & The Goats” Bursary?
The name, The Sheep & The Goats comes from Jesus’ famous parable in Matthew 25 about the importance of living compassionately:
“When he finally arrives, blazing in beauty and all his angels with him, Jesus will take his place on his glorious throne. Then all the nations will be arranged before him and he will sort the people out, much as a shepherd sorts out sheep and goats, putting sheep to his right and goats to his left.
Then Jesus will say to those on his right, ‘Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what’s coming to you in this kingdom. It’s been ready for you since the world’s foundation. And here’s why:
I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.’
Then those ‘sheep’ are going to say, ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’ Then Jesus will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’
Then he will turn to the ‘goats,’ the ones on his left, and say, ‘Get out, worthless goats! You’re good for nothing but the fires of hell. And why? Because—
I was hungry and you gave me no meal,
I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
I was homeless and you gave me no bed,
I was shivering and you gave me no clothes,
Sick and in prison, and you never visited.’
Then those ‘goats’ are going to say, ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or homeless or shivering or sick or in prison and didn’t help?’ He will answer them, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me. Then those ‘goats’ will be herded to their eternal doom, but the ‘sheep’ to their eternal reward.” (From Matthew 25:31-46, The Message)
Am I Eligible?
- This Bursary will be awarded to qualified students enrolled in studies at Steinbach Bible College as a full-time undergraduate in the Bachelor of Arts — Ministry Leadership Major program.
- Be a Canadian or US citizen, at least 19 years of age prior to May 1 of the summer of participation.
- Note that MDS is not able to assist students with visa arrangements if these are necessary.
- Serve as a volunteer in the field with Mennonite Disaster Service (MDS) for 8 weeks. Students must complete 8 weeks of service with MDS each year to maintain their award.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.0 each semester.
- Submit a 500-word description of their experience at MDS, to be read by the awards’ donors. Ideally, this account will explain personal transformation, lessons learned, and feedback/recommendations for MDS.
- Step 1: Contact Kelsey with Volunteer Placement at Mennonite Disaster Services. Explain that you’ll be studying at Steinbach Bible College in the fall and you’re hoping to receive The Sheep & The Goats MDS Service Bursary. With Kelsey’s help, start exploring an 8-week volunteer placement with MDS.
- Step 2: Email Dalen Kroeker in SBC Financial Aid to let us know you are applying with MDS.
- Step 3: Ask Volunteer Placement to confirm your eligibility with the Financial Aid Office at SBC (before you head off to volunteer!). This will ensure that Steinbach Bible College and MDS are working together to make sure you complete all the necessary requirements to receive your funding.
- Step 4: After you finish your volunteer field-work, ask the MDS office to send Steinbach Bible College a signed letter confirming the length of your service.
- Step 5: Write a 500-word (or more) description of your experiences with MDS along with recommendations you wish to make to MDS based on your experience. Submit the essay to the Financial Aid Office.
Disbursement of Funds
- The amount of the Bursary will be 100% of the $CDN tuition of qualifying students. It will be paid to SBC in equal amounts at the beginning of each of the fall and winter semesters. It will be applied to the student account after the Add/Drop deadline each semester.
- 100% tuition on up to 32 credit hours and 2 Service Learning credits for the following year will be covered (minimum of 24 credit hours, full-time studies must be taken).
- Students may re-apply for The Sheep & The Goats MDS Service Bursary for subsequent years of study.
- Students may not defer an awarded The Sheep & The Goats MDS Service Bursary (i.e. student takes a semester or year break from studies).
- Terms and conditions of SBC Financial Aid are subject to change.