Campus Housing Guidelines
General Guidelines for Students in Campus Housing
(The Bungalows, Apartments and Trailers only)
SBC has a policy that requires all first year students to live in the residence. Some exceptions exist and approval to live outside of residence must be given by Student Development.
Second and third year students have the option to live outside of residence or on campus.
SBC does not guarantee housing is available for single students.
Priorities for campus housing are as follows for full-time students:
- Students with families
- Mature Students (over 25)
- Other single students
Housing units are generally confirmed no later than mid-June for the following school year.
Units will be rented to part-time students if available. These will only be confirmed in late August.
Note: Campus Housing does not include male and female residences, but refers to independent living units only.
Agreement and Process
- The rental agreement is between Steinbach Christian Schools (SCS) and the student directly.
- Students under age 21 need to receive permission to not live in residence. Student Development must approve the student’s move out of residence before applications will be processed.
- Mature student applications (over age 21) will also be processed through Student Development if the student wishes to live in campus housing.
- In the case of single students sharing accommodations,
- Each tenant must make application to live in campus housing.
- Names of all parties must appear on the tenancy agreement
- Each tenancy agreement indicates one primary tenant who will be responsible for all rent costs every month. The Director of Finance must approve this primary tenant.
- If any tenant moves out, the full cost of the rent is born by the remaining tenant.
- Any replacements the remaining tenant may want to move in to share in the costs must first complete an application with the Director of Finance and receive permission as required by Student Development.
- SCS will accept post-dated cheques from all parties for the rent. I.e. if there are two people in the apartment and they split the rent 50/50 then both parties can hand in cheques for their portion of rent. However, the primary tenant always remains completely responsible for all costs associated with the rental unit.
- The Finance Office will acknowledge receiving applications, but this does not guarantee approved rental. Priority consideration is given to families and married couples and then to returning single students. Confirmation of rental is given only when the application is approved and a cheque is received for 2 months rent. (1-month rent is held as a damage deposit).
- After confirmation of acceptance, the tenant has 2 weeks from the date of the acceptance letter to send a cheque for the amount indicated above (#5). If fees are not received, the Director of Finance can offer the rental unit to the next approved tenant.
- SCS will not place any additional tenants into a rental unit without the consent of the current tenant.
Rent and Damage Deposit
- Rental fees include an entire month and are not prorated. If a tenant moves in after the beginning of the month or before the end of the month, full rent is due and payable.
- Rent is due on the first day of each month and is payable in full unless special arrangements have been made with the Director of Finance. Rent is not invoiced to the student’s account.
- The tenant can treat the rental unit as a home including the hanging of pictures and posters, which do not result in damage to the unit.
- The tenant is responsible for all damages that occur above the costs that can be covered by the damage deposit.
- It is understood that the tenant is responsible for all activities /actions that occur in their unit.
- Pets are not allowed on SBC property or inside any residences.
- If the tenant(s) is/ are students at SBC all other rules regarding students, campus activity etc. will be applicable unless Student Development exempts the student(s).
- The tenant is not allowed to make any renovations or improvements to the unit without the written permission of the Director of Finance and SCS Director of Maintenance.
- The rental unit comes with a refrigerator and stove.
- Laundry facilities are coin operated and are located in the apartment building.
- The utilities are extra for the trailers or bungalows but are included with the apartments.
If you have any questions please contact the Finance Office.
50 PTH 12 N Steinbach, MB R5G 1T4 Ph. 204.326.6451 Fax 204.326.6908